The VICTORY, a wooden hull Biloxi lugger was commissioned by Steve Marinovich and built in 1943 by Toche Brothers Shipyard, located on East Beach, Biloxi. The vessel was originally christened BLITZ but was re-named VICTORY when captain Willard Newman took possession, post-World War II.
A working shrimping and oystering boat,VICTORY serviced DeJean Packing Company and worked the Mississippi sound for more than thirty years. In 1950 and again in 1951, VICTORY was chosen as the “Best Decorated” boat during the annual Blessing of the Fleet ceremony.
VICTORY was sold in 1974 to Tony Ferrante and Bob Erskine of Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. In 2005, the vessel was destroyed as a result of Hurricane Katrina.